TRF – Blackburn 20th Anniversary & Horse Show
KY Department of Corrections Video: Nov 6th Celebration & Horse Show
Thank you for joining us! Please share your experience with a friend!
Please check back on this page for photos from the 20th Anniversary Celebration!Donate
Thank you to our Sponsors!
Two Horse Level: Gainesway ; Scott and Cindy Heider
One Horse Level: The Daily Racing Form
Pasture Level: Paul H. Saylor; Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Rosenberg, Le Bon Cheval Farm
- Conrad Bandoroff – Denali Stud
- John Cox Jr. – Kentucky Tourism, Arts & Heritage Cabinet
- Sharon Dominguez – TRF Volunteer
- Niki Goldey – VisitLex
- Andy Howard – Lanes End Farm
- Laurie Mays – Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Workforce Center + Kentucky Equine Education Project (KEEP).
- Kelsey Riley – TDN
- Elizabeth Rosenberg – TRF Horse Sponsor & Volunteer
- Paul Saylor – Committee Chair, TRF Board of Directors
November 6, 2019 @ 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm
About the Event
A celebration of 20 years of “Saving Horses and Saving Lives”. The TRF-Blackburn 20th Anniversary Horse Show will shine the spotlight on the extraordinary partnership between the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation (TRF) and the Blackburn Correctional Complex (Blackburn) in Lexington, Kentucky. Together, this public-private partnership has provided lifelong sanctuary to hundreds of retired Thoroughbred racehorses after their racing careers have ended, while instilling vocational and life-skills in hundreds of men seeking a Second Chance in society after completing their terms at Blackburn.
Guests will enjoy a unique “behind the scenes” look at the work taking place, every day, within the TRF Second Chances Program. Guests will visit the TRF Second Chances Barn, classroom, paddocks and meet the horses, the Program Manager, Blackburn leadership and men who are working together to create healthy, successful Second Chances for all participants. The men in the program will “show” their horses by demonstrating grooming, ground handling and general anatomy knowledge to the audience.
In 2019, as we celebrate this important milestone in the history of the TRF Second Chances Program in Kentucky, we are rallying the support of the Lexington community and the Thoroughbred community to invest in the continued success of this program. All dollars raised through tickets and sponsorship will be directed to the TRF Blackburn Fund which is used to provide all feed, veterinary and farrier care required by the noble, aging equine athletes who are living out the remainder of their days as teachers within the Blackburn program. Learn more about the TRF Blackburn Fund at: https://www.trfinc.org/blackburnfund/
- 11:00am Media Check In
- 11:30am Gates Open for Registered Guests
- 12:00pm Barn Tour & Luncheon at the TRF Second Chances Barn
- 12:30pm Welcome & Anniversary Program
- 1:00pm Horse Show at TRF Second Chances Paddock
- 1:45pm Closing Remarks & Group Photo
- 2:00pm Adjourn – Barn will remain open until 2:30pm.
Saving Horses. Saving Lives
“You still can be trusted” – Article by Tom Pedulla, The Paulick Report (Oct 15, 2019)
Learn more at TRF Second Chances Blackburn.
Who Should Attend
- Lexington community businesses and citizens,
- Thoroughbred breeding & racing industry,
- Corrections community,
- Equine industry services professionals,
- TRF horse sponsors and supporters,
- State & local government,
- Media (national, state, local and industry specific)
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Media credentials required and must be requested by Nov 1st. Click here to request credential.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: No children under the age of 18 will be admitted
- ALL GUESTS MUST PRE-REGISTER before Nov 6th. Walk-in or Day-of registration will not be allowed by Blackburn Correctional Complex.