TRF Second Chances Juvenile Program at CSI-Ocala
Meet the Team: Watch the Recording of our Virtual Launch Event
Meet the Horses!
Public – Private Partnership: TRF + Florida DJJ
“The Florida Department of Juvenile Justice is excited to partner with the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation to offer this unique vocational training to our youth,” said Florida Department of Juvenile Justice Acting Secretary Josie Tamayo.
“The equine program provides an opportunity to gain hands-on training while receiving the benefits of animal assisted therapy. This additional therapeutic service is offered as part of our youth’s specialized treatment plan and will allow them to further grow and build upon their skills to ensure a successful transition back into their home communities.”
About the Program
Building on more than 35 years of experience “Saving Horses and Saving Lives” in partnership with Correctional Facilities across the United States, the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation (TRF) will introduce its first-ever partnership with a Department of Juvenile Justice program with a virtual “launch event” on February 23rd. Presented as a live-streaming event on YouTube, the TRF and the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice will introduce the new TRF Second Chances Juvenile Program at CSI-Ocala to a national audience.
The launch event will feature remarks from the Acting Secretary of the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, Josie Tamayo, and include a tour of the new equine program facility constructed at the Center for Success and Independence (CSI), a juvenile residential commitment program operated by Youth Opportunity Investments in Ocala, Florida. The online audience will meet the TRF retired racehorses participating and the equine program instructor, learn about the skills-based and therapeutic curriculum and hear success stories of graduates who have completed the program in recent months.
- Launch Event: February 23, 2021
- 5 Horses
- Serving young men (ages 12-18)
- 10 Acres
- Location: Ocala, FL
- Adjacent to TRF Second Chances Farm at Lowell Correctional Institution
Public Sector Partner: Florida Department of Juvenile Justice
TRF Second Chances Juvenile Program in the News
- February 24: Ocala.com, Austin L Miller- Ocala Star Banner, New Ocala program aims to help both horses and at-risk youths
- February 23: TRF Launch of Second Chances Program with Dept. of Juvenile Justice in Ocala, Kim Weir and DJJ’s Billy Starke
- Press Release (February 18, 2021): TRF Second Chances Juvenile Program Launches in Ocala, FL
- February 23: ABC News- WCJB, Second Chances Juvenile Program Helps At-Risk Teens Through Work With Retired Thoroughbreds
- February 23: Wire to Wire, TRF Second Chances Program Launches in Ocala, Page 14
- February 22: In the Ring Podcast with Acacia Courtney, Acacia Courtney with In the Ring ft. Kim Weir, Podcast
- February 22: In the Money Players Podcast, Pete Fornatale ITM ft. Kim Weir, Podcast
- February 22: Thoroughbred Post, Lez Salzman/Equipost News, Podcast
- February 19: Bloodhorse, TRF Launches Partnership with Dept. of Juvenile Justice in Ocala, Florida
- February 19: Wire to Wire, Second-Chance Juvenile Program Launches in Ocala, Page 16
- February 18: Thoroughbred Daily News, TRF Launches Partnership with Department of Juvenile Justice in Ocala